Electrical wiring is one of the most important things in your home. It’s what powers everything from lights to appliances, and it can be dangerous if not done properly or maintained over time. As a homeowner, your family’s safety should be one of your top priorities, this includes making sure your home has safe wiring.
You need to ensure a safe living space for everyone in the vicinity so you can have peace of mind as you continue on with your daily life. However, one thing that can jeopardize this safety you’re trying to establish is old electrical wiring.
An old wire is a safety hazard and if it’s not fixed or replaced, you will be endangering your family in the long run. But don’t panic! If you’re going to fix this problem, there are some steps that we can show you on how to go about doing so for peace of mind during your daily activities.
If not fixed or replaced, electrical wires might lead to fires due to exposed circuits that spark an electric shock if touched. This will cause immediate harm or death because electricity doesn’t have any warnings before acting on its instinct – so make sure you don’t try this at home unless you want to risk your family’s safety!
Electricity also has no preferences when it comes down to where it likes conducting itself from; meaning that anywhere from walls, floors, furniture etcetera will get zapped by this full-powered electricity, leading to a potential fire outbreak.
The Signs of Bad Wiring
It’s good to be aware of the signs of bad wiring so you can immediately seek help before anything bad happens. If one or more of the following things happen in your home, then it’s best to call in an expert technician to help you out:
Fuses and Electrical Breakers Go Out
If you find that your fuse or breaker is being tripped for no reason, then it’s time to call an electrician. Fuses will trip when too much power travels through them which becomes a sign of either bad wiring or overloaded or short circuits in the house.
Breakers are devices where electricity flows through them before reaching the outlets. If you’ve got a faulty breaker, then this needs to be replaced right away.
Flickering lights is another sign of bad wiring from old electrical wires.
The reason behind this is that the wire has deteriorated and it’s no longer able to maintain its conductive properties which will cause the lights in your home to flicker and go out at random times of the day. If you find yourself experiencing flickering lights, then call an electrician right away before anything else happens!
Burning Electrical Wire Smell
If you ever smell a burning electrical wire, then it’s a sure sign of bad wiring. The burning smell could be coming from your lights or any other appliances you have plugged in that are on.
The reason behind this is that the wire has been exposed to an open circuit which then begins to heat up, causing its insides to release a burning smell – so make sure you get help as soon as possible!
If your wiring isn’t being properly maintained and if there are signs of bad wiring, then call in a professional electrician (like Cathey Services) right away to ensure that your home has safe wiring.